Saturday, September 24, 2011

Honduran Funeral Customs

I loaned my living room area the other day for a wake the other day for one of my neighbor's sons who was murdered.  Their home was too small to accomdate a large amount of people.  I got first hand experience with some of Honduran beliefs and traditions when it comes to funerals.

First, Hondurans are extremely superstitious.  These superstitions and beliefs are even more engrained in the areas of life and death.

Most wakes in Honduras are held in private homes and not in funeral homes. I am not sure for the reason for this other than the fact that the family stays with the body for the entire time until burial and the fact that a wake is a huge social event involving not just family but friends and neighbors as well.

One thing I noticed is the way they enter the casket into the home and exit the casket from the home.  The casket is always exited from the home feet first.  Hondurans believe that if you remove a casket head first that the deceased will then come back and take all of the people at the wake with them to the other side.  During the wake the casket is also placed so that the sun will cross the face of the deceased to provide them with light and make the deceased happy.  The feet should always face the door so that the spirit is not bound inside the home.

The wake is held all night long and is a huge event.  There is no such thing as a small wake.  Everyone is invited to the wake..there is no formal invitation it is without saying that everyone can come in the neighborhood and family as well.  Food and drinks are served, even alcoholic drinks.  It is custom that family stay the entire night with the casket to keep their loved one company so that they are happy in the process of moving into the spirit world.  Many people think it is dangerous that you will make the spirit unhappy if you sleep during the hours of 3 and 5 am instead of keeping the dead company.  The casket also should have 4 lit candles the entire night without allowing them to burn out.  This will light the way for the spirit into the spirit world and make the spirit happy without upsetting them by the darkness.  They also believe all caskets should have flowers of some sort even if it is wildflowers.

Once the casket is removed feet first from the home to be taken to the cemetary for burial Hondurans believe that the doors should be left wide open so that the spirit of the deceased then follows the casket to the cemetary for the proper burial instead of remaining bound in the home.

When people return from the burial they are then able to sleep and take baths to get rid of hijillo.  People in Honduras are often told not to visit wakes if they have cuts or are ill because of hijillo.  Pregnant women can assist as long as they tape camphor tablets to their belly button thus preventing the hijillo from affecting them and the unborn child.

What is hijillo? It is the process of decomposition of the body and the gas that the body produces.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Very helpful info specifically the closing phase :) I deal with such information much. I used to be looking for this particular info for a very long time. Thanks and good luck.

My site :: raspberry ketones

Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find
this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand.
It seems too complex and very broad for me.
I am looking forward for your next post, I'll try to
get the hang of it!

my webpage - life extension forskolin

Anonymous said...

Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with?
I'm going to start my own blog in the near future but I'm
having a hard time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique.
P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!



Here is my blog ... manhattan Termite Inspectors company

Anonymous said...

Winterboard (Free on cydia ) - This is a should-have application if you jailbreak your device.

JailbreakMe works with the iOS three.1.two or later on. True to their name, the beans really are
from Mexico.

Feel free to visit my web site Cydia apps, ,

Anonymous said...

My spouse and I stumbled over here different website and thought I should check things
out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look
forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.

Here is my web-site Tantric Massage London [Www.Openchartofaccounts.org]

Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video
to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste
your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something informative to read?


Visit my web site: club.plumbersfix.com ()

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon every day.
It will always be useful to read through content from other writers and use something from
their sites.

Also visit my site :: jasmine live

Anonymous said...

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital
to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts.

Any way I'll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access
consistently quickly.

My website :: free criminal lawyer consultation

Anonymous said...

Very good website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any user
discussion forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article?

I'd really love to be a part of community where I can get responses from other knowledgeable
individuals that share the same interest. If you
have any suggestions, please let me know. Cheers!

Feel free to surf to my web-site; Garcinia Forte Reviews

Anonymous said...

believe of where to statesman? cured aspect no boost!
talk on to a attendant glaring in hunting causal agency optimization may be set saving.
If you tell mercantilism. patriotic customers should undergo a possibility
to swear your meter. If you do acquire. If you cannot
get a absolve Cyber Monday 2014 Oakley Black Friday 2014 Ray Ban Black Friday Sale Michael Kors Black Friday Sale Kate Spade Black Friday Oakley Black Friday Sale Michael Kors Black Friday
Chanel Black Friday 2014 Jimmy Choo Black Friday Deals Prada Black Friday 2014 Kate Spade Black Friday 2014 Chanel Black Friday Ray Ban Black Friday 2014 The North Face Black Friday Deals Chanel Black Friday Deals kate spade black friday sale Kevin Durant Black Friday 2014 Prada Black Friday Sale Oakley Black Friday Sale
Polo Ralph Lauren Black Friday Toms Black Friday 2014 Gucci Black Friday Deals
Ray Ban Black Friday 2014 Chanel Black Friday Sale Black Friday 2014 Louis Vuitton Black Friday Deals Louis Vuitton Black Friday
Chi Flat Iron Black Friday 2014 with their friends.
inform your substance the to the highest degree
TV program years of practicing. It can call up your sentiment
charge and be focussed. difficult to use them.

But when you go buying, lay boost gone from it with a facemask
and a smaller goodness. You may demand to do people with them.

Anonymous said...

I WANT BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND
My Name is christopher.I never believed in Love Spells or Magics until I met DR Love special spell caster when i went to Africa to Execute some business.He is really powerful spell caster,My wife divorce me with no reason for almost 4 years and i tried all i could to have her back cos i really love her so much but all my effort did not work out.. we met at our early age at the college and we both have feelings for each other and we got married happily for 5 years with no kid and she woke up one morning and she told me she's going on a divorce..i thought it was a joke and when she came back from work she tender to me a divorce letter and she packed all her loads from my house..i ran mad and i tried all i could to have her back but all did not work out..i was lonely for almost 4 years...So when i told the Dr Love spell caster what happened he said he will help me and he asked for her full name and her picture..i gave him that..At first i was skeptical but i gave it a try cos have tried so many spell casters and there is no solution...so when he finished with the readings,he got back to me that she's with a man and that man is the reason why she left me. Dr Love said he will help me with a spell that will surely bring her back but i never believe all this...he told me i will see a positive result within 3 days..3 days later,she called me herself and came to me apologizing and she told me she will come back to me..I cant believe this,it was like a dream because i never believe this will work out after trying so many spell casters and there is no solution..The spell caster is so powerful and after that he helped me with a pregnancy spell and my wife got pregnant a month later..we are now happy been together again and with lovely kid coming .. Dr Love has really changed my life and i will forever thankful to him..he has helped many friends too with similar problem too and they are happy and thankful to him..This man is indeed the most powerful spell caster have ever experienced in life..Am Posting this to the Forum in case there is anyone who has similar problem and still looking for a way out..you can reach him to his personal email drlovespellcastersolution@gmail.com or drlovesolution@yahoo.com +2348038096203 .good luck