Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Updates for Worryworts

Ok I have received emails from some folks around that are worried because they haven't seen me and with the violence and things going on got worried.  I am alive everyone,  just apparently behind on my job. A few things have happened and on May 2 my dear neighbor and friend of 10 years passed away and it was very difficult, he suffered from liver cancer and he really suffered these past few months.  The actions of the hospital convinced me that the US would be making a fatal error if they embark on national health care.  We have it, my neighbor who had not been a drinker, but had been affected by Hep B years ago, bled to death, because they did not have an ability to do an endoscopy to discover if he could be fixed internally.  Later we found that would have been impossible as his hepatic vein ruptured, but knowing that would have made acceptance of what happened easier.  I really miss him, he was close to my father's age and gave fantastic advice and told stories that kept me on the edge of my seat with interest...RIP don Felipe.  He would have turned 62 on May 3 the day after he passed.

Threats have gotten to me as well.  I received a few of them, but I guess I am a glutton for punishment,  I won't back down.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

So sorry to hear about your dear friend Don Felipe... I lost my companion to complications of stomach cancer 3 years ago. We managed to get one last season in La Ceiba for him but basically did it on our own without medical help here - there wasn't even morphine available anywhere! Thankfully I had mine and could make life easier for him until we flew him back to Canada, just two weeks before he died. I may love Honduras and La Ceiba, but am hoping and praying that I never get seriously ill while here... Take care of yourself, for yourself. Stephanie of http://musingsandmutteringsfromhonduras

LaGringaSPS said...

Thanks Stephanie, I looked at my neighbor like the father I didn't have...I miss him and find myself talking to him which sounds like I am crazy, but asking him what he thinks of this or that as if he could answer...I hope I never get really ill either, but I know that if I do that the US is plane ride away unfortunately for so many here they don't have that option.
I am sorry about the loss of your companion.