Friday, May 15, 2009

Rain is Finally Here



Looks like the rain has finally arrived. We are chopping down the fields, burning, and replanting for the cows in Olancho so that there will be plenty of food for them in the dry season. I am planting 8 avocado trees, 8 mango trees, and 8 sour orange trees this season too. Don´t ask why 8 of each it just seemed like a good number to start with so I will go from there.

We have bought some milk cows that have just been weaned to add to the small flock we have. However, a little at a time will eventually get us to where we want to be. Our caretaker is thankfully very trustworthy. He works hard and is content with the way we are toward them.

We shall see how the rain season goes. Hopefully there won´t be much flooding or too many storms this season.

I still laugh when I think about the cows. My husband had been in the states and not been out to the property recently so he decided to go visit the bull, Cherokee. We bought him when he was just barely weaned 2 years ago. He is a beautiful, white Brahman bull and he chased my poor husband up the tree and was head butting the tree for half an hour before anyone could get him to get interested in anything else. He got his horns clipped after that though. My husband is pretty stubborn so he wasn´t amused when I was rolling in laughter and said´, ¨Good boy, Cherokee.¨

No comments: